When you are traveling, you may not usually have an opportunity to get an iron. This advice helps to get rid of wrinkles from clothes without using an iron.
- To remove wrinkles from clothes you need to mix three ingredients in equal proportions: vinegar, water and fabric softener. Pour the mixture into a spray bottle and mix thoroughly. Spray the mixture over the entire surface of the clothes. Wait for some time till the fabric dries out and releases the wrinkles.
- While washing in the washing machine, always choose the mode “easy iron” for delicate fabrics. The mode “easy iron” reduces crease formation.
- Always shake out clothing before hanging or straighten them with hands to reduce wrinkles.
How to wash your jeans
If a bath towel got crispy and rough after washing, you need to soften it. In order to soften a bath towel, soak it in hot water with some salt after washing. Then rinse.
You can do several things to keep your bath towels soft and fluffy. Apply these tips.
- Wash bath towels in very hot water using baking soda, vinegar or borax within or instead of detergent. It will soften the bath towels naturally and remove any leftover detergent.
- While washing bath towels in the washing machine don’t use fabric softeners. The fibers of the material get clogged with the softener.
- Use extra rinse cycle in the washing machine to get rid of any leftover detergent.
- Don’t dry towels in the direct sunlight. The towels can get crispy.
- While being dried on a clothesline, the towels can also get stiff. To reduce this shake the towels out before and after you hang them up.
You can wash faux fur by hand delicately with mild soap and cold or lukewarm water.
Hang your item on a plastic hanger. Agitate the water to create soapsuds and brush carefully the garment with brush covered with soapsuds in one direction. Then dry with a soft towel.
Allow garments to air dry if they get wet and store away from direct sunlight. Brush and smooth the faux fur if needed.
The hook-and-loop fastener looses its efficiency when it gets soiled with dust, hair and lint.
First, wash the hook-and-loop fastener with warm soapy water to clean grease and dirt. Then take a fine-tooth comb and start combing out along the rows in one direction.
The rest can be removed easily with your fingers or tweezers. You can comb out the dirt with a stiff toothbrush or any brush with hard bristles as well.
Always keep your hook-and-loop fastener fastened when washing garments or shoes. To decrease the number of dust, spray the hook-and-loop fastener with antistatic spray.
How to protect buttons during washing
Use laundry bags to wash delicate clothes
How to stop new shoes from staining socks
Use laundry bags to wash delicate clothes. Place the item in a laundry bag and place the entire bag in the washing machine. You can even wash garment with embroidery, items with ornamental buttons or other ornaments. The bag protects the item from being damaged by other items during washing. When washing, turn the garment inside out and put it into a laundry bag or pillowcase.
To protect ornamental, strass or wooden buttons, when washing wrap each button with aluminum foil and tie tightly at the bottom. Instead of foil you can also use a piece plastic bag.
Always turn your clothes inside out before washing. Wash delicate clothes in a special washing bag or pillowcase.
After air drying on a sunny or frosty day, laundry gets the sweet fresh smell. Clothing, fabrics and linen are easier to iron when they are dried outside. Otherwise, direct sunlight can fade bright clothing and bleach colored one.
- Turn colored and white laundry inside out before hanging, and avoid direct sunlight, hang in shaded area.
- Read labels. Do not dry pullovers and shirts if the care label says “dry flat” on the clothesline.
- Clothesline drying saves money and is energy efficient. You can save up to $80 per year.
Soap Nuts – The fruit of the Sapindus Mukorossi tree, a totally natural, organic, and biodegradable detergent.
Soap nuts release extremely effective, hypoallergenic, organic cleaning agent with no added synthetics, chemicals, toxins or artificial perfumes. It is the best environmentally friendly green cleaners available. You need 4 or 5 Soap Nuts, perhaps one or two more if you live in a hard water area. Just put Soap Nuts into the little cotton bag that they have with them and put the bag into your washing machine. You can wash at 30-90 °C. You don’t need any other cleansers or fabric softeners. For fragrance add 10 – 15 drops of essential oil into your conditioner drawer. The same bag of Soap Nuts can be reused 2-3 times. After use put Soap Nuts in your compost.
If you find a chewing gum on your jeans, put the jeans in the freezer for 2-3 hours. When frozen, the sticky substance can be easily scraped off. Take a dull knife and carefully scrape off the gum. Afterwards wash the jeans with soap water and rub the place slightly with a soft brush, for example, toothbrush. Then air dry.